- About Us
- Training & Action Support
- Why Direct Action
- Tools & Resources
- Contact Us
No More Marches, No More Rallies Workshop @ USSFJune 24th, 2010
Co-hosted by The Ruckus Society and Training for Change
Thursday, June 24
Locaton: Cobo Hall DO-03B
Check out all of Ruckus's Program Plans during the U.S. Social Forum here!
In this workshop we provide tools for creating direct action tactics that tell the story of what we want changed. We introduce core organizing skills to enhance people’s understanding of strategy and action logic. The design of this workshop is interactive and grounded in popular education principles.
1) Share stories and case studies that exemplify actions that produce a sense of consequence or escalation for the targets/opponents being pressured. We want to assist people to think about strategy, particularly, how to leverage power and how to sequence a series of tactics within a campaign framework.
2) Use these stories to explore made those tactics successful. Here we want to underscore why tactics such as marches, rallies, etc have become less useful for building power, and why tactics tend to fail when they become ritualized or too familiar.
3) Introduce a framework that divides tactics into several different categories, to distinguish what kinds of tactics are more suited to particular goals or outcomes participants might be seeking from their action.
4) Give participants a chance to apply this information through a brainstorm of tactics they could use in their current organizing work.