Seeking Communications & Development Associate
Communications & Development Associate (Full-Time)
Position Open Until Filled
The Ruckus Society is seeking an experienced, skilled, and passionate full-time Communications & Development Associate to work in our new San Francisco office.
The Ruckus Society is a nonprofit organization which provides training and action support in creative nonviolent direct action to communities fighting for social and environmental justice. Through our volunteer network of direct action trainers and practitioners, Ruckus has trained thousands of activists since 1996. We prioritize working with communities on the front lines of injustice, moving towards a vision of sustainability and self-determination.
Overview of Position:
The Communications & Development Associate (CDA) is a full-time position responsible for driving all organizational communications, fundraising, and financial management.
The Ruckus Society takes a collaborative and inclusive approach to leadership and planning among our stakeholders, and we are looking for someone who has the experience and desire to work in a shared leadership model, and who is flexible and committed to the overall advancement of the organization.
However, this position will be an Associate-level position reporting to the Directors until experience and skills are demonstrated to the degree necessary to participate equally in Leadership decisions.
The CDA position is a critical role responsible for raising the organizational profile and funding necessary to carry out Ruckus programming. We are looking for a dedicated, experienced, and enthusiastic fundraiser and communications specialist with the commitment, skills, and desire required to continue growing and sustaining the resources Ruckus needs to fulfill its mission.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communications & Development Associate will have four primary areas of responsibility:
- Design, plan, and drive all Fundraising strategies for Foundations, Major Donors, and Grassroots Giving programs
- Execute fundraising plans from A to Z (utilizing help from Admin Associate, Board and volunteers)
- Manage fundraising database
- Volunteer coordination
- Communications and Documentation
- Design, develop and drive strategy and content for all online & offline communications for the purposes of documenting and promoting our work, and growing our base of followers and supporters
- Manage the website
- Coordinate the documentation of all programming (whether you write it or you get others to write it)
- Manage social media pages/streams
- Manage email blasts and newsletters
- Organizational Development & Management
- Supervise part-time Administrative Associate
- Supervise contract bookkeeper
- Manage the Board of Directors and Leadership Team
- Track organizational commitments and deadlines
- Drive organizational development cycles such as planning and evaluation
- Financial Management
- Manage Budget development and tracking with Admin Associate and Bookkeeper
- Oversee financial reporting and bring reports to Board and other stakeholders
- Monitor and sustain financial health of the organization with the Board
In addition, the CDA will play a co-equal role in staff-wide requirements:
- Contribute to fundraising efforts by participating in strategic fundraising planning, meetings, events and activities;
- Co-Plan Organizational Development, working with the team to help Ruckus continue to grow and evolve to meet the needs of our network and our mission, including regular staff meetings, and organizational planning and evaluation retreats;
- Participate in Ruckus Events, including action camps, trainings, fundraisers and social functions;
- Demonstrate leadership and solidarity in network development, engaging and growing the diverse spectrum of stakeholders and communities that Ruckus seeks to serve and empower.
In order to fulfill the stated responsibilities of the role, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Passionate commitment to the principles of nonviolent struggle for social change;
- Experience working successfully on a multi-racial team;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in the areas listed above under “Primary Duties & Responsibilities”;
- Enthusiasm for fundraising, writing, organizational development, and sustaining and improving the overall health of the organization;
- Strong online communications skills, including email, social media, web publishing and analytics; HTML and Salsa skills a strong plus;
- Detail-oriented, thorough; nothing slips by you;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Prolific and efficient writing skills; ability to write in a variety of styles for multiple audiences;
- Extensive knowledge of and experience using spreadsheets;
- Successful experience coordinating volunteers and other unpaid stakeholders;
- Strong work ethic, highly self-motivated;
- Flexibility in the job role, understanding the need to dynamically respond to evolving and Ruckus needs that are often driven by external events and opportunities;
- Willing and able to travel occasionally;
- Sensitivity and commitment to diversity.
- Direct action experience and understanding of the culture and needs of direct action organizing;
- Experience in campaigning and grassroots organizing, particularly in communities of color;
- Comfort and experience in public speaking roles;
- Multimedia skills a plus, including audio, video, and image editing capabilities;
- Sense of humor!
Salary position with benefits available after a 90-day probationary period that will end with an evaluation:
- $35,000 starting annual salary;
- Excellent health benefits including medical, acupuncture/chiropractic, dental and vision coverage;
- Generous vacation package.
San Francisco Bay Area.
Note that while Ruckus has been Oakland-based for years, we are moving into an office in San Francisco (near Civic Center BART) in November. It is possible that we may move back to an Oakland office at a future date, however.
The Ruckus Society prioritizes the voices and visions of youth, women, people of color, indigenous people and immigrants, poor and working class people, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and transgendered people, people with disabilities, and other historically marginalized communities. Individuals from one or more of those communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: “CDA Application” and your first and last name. (ie, Subject: "CDA Application – Jane Doe")
In your cover letter, please address the following:
- What draws you to working at Ruckus?
- What specifically draws you to the Communications & Development Associate position?
- What relevant experience and skills do you have that align with our requirements?
- Why do you think you would excel in this position?