Tuesday, June 7th, Ruckus teamed up with our partners at Aspiration to provide a day-long Tech Training for Activists in Oakland, CA.
About 40 Bay Area activists from various social and environmental justice movements spent the day in workshops learning how to use online tools in sustainable ways to support social change.
The trainings focused on showing activists how to use technology on their own terms, in ways that mobilize stakeholders and increase impact. The event was highly interactive and question-driven, with participants collaborating in small groups.
Workshop topics included:
- How to publish a web site for a campaign or organization for free or cheap
- How to set up my own domain name
- What we should know about security and privacy, and what is safe online
- How to use social media to support campaigns and advocacy
- How to write a good email campaign message and send to thousands of folks
- How to track where our campaigns and issues are being mentioned online
- How to use the web to mobilize people to support our campaigns
- and many more!
The training was hands-on, and many participants walked away with new tools or even websites set up and ready to go!